Thursday, July 7, 2011

Beginnings

Day 1.

My class has four students in it. They each bring their own stories to the class, but I think that they all have one thing in common: they hate chemistry. They hate the idea of it; they hate that they have to come to school in the summer to learn it; they hate that they are being force fed a year's worth of content in 18 days.

But they're here, all four of them, and that's a start.



Day 2.

Steven didn't come today. Yesterday he was loud and rambunctious. He was on his phone and he was disengaged, but he was there. After class I read his info survey.

"Three things people don't know about me: I fight but I hate it, I'm sweet, and I actually do care about school."

The other three students are wonderful. They're attentive, they're smart, they respond, and they ask questions when they're confused. I just hope that we have four students again tomorrow.



Day 3.

Making ice cream in class today!

All three of my students passed our objective with 100% mastery yesterday. They LEARNED. Today, we gained three more kids, and Steven is here! My collaborative partner (we both teach the same students, just at different times) called Steven last night. When he walked around the hallway corner toward my classroom this morning, he shook his head and smiled.

"Miss, y'all gone call my phone every time that y'all miss me?"

Steven is back.




Side note: I PASSED MY BIOLOGY PRAXIS. A standardized test says that I am qualified to teach the subject! HOLLA.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you're chronicling your experience. It will be an amazing journey. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete